Tuesday, May 13, 2008

spring in colorado

Here we go again. Cold front after cold front seems to be the theme for the past few weeks. I was happy to awake this morning and see wet green grass and not a wet blanket of snow. It looks like we will have some decent riding weather after this front moves out though so no harm done right? Yeah, tell that to everyone's vegetable plants that took several days in a row of cold weather and most certainly died unless covered properly. We are 2 days away from the date when we should be safe to plant and still we are getting hammered with cold frosty nights. 
Oh well, at least I was able to squeeze in a couple of rides the last two days. One mtn ride solo and one death march on the road with BK. 

Hall (small) Ranch in Lyons was fun on Sunday night. I hit it late and fast and had a great time. The rocky technical section was fun up and down and the loop at the top was covered by a herd of deer that consisted of almost 100 animals. I rode right through the middle of the herd on both laps and although they all seemed aware of my presence, most seemed less than interested in me and more in their grazing. While passing through them, I imagined how easy living must be for a mountain lion in these parts this time of year. I imagined myself lying in the grass between the trees looking out at Rocky Mountain National Park over a fresh warm kill. I'm not sure if I was having a Jeremiah Johnson connected to nature moment or just bitter at the deer that ran directly into the side of my car last year...Either way, deer tastes good. 
                                                                              



The lighting was not great on this shot but the view was stellar.



Monday afternoon was a different story. With a nasty windy wet cold front charging down on boulder valley, Bob K. and I decided to take matters into our own hands and headed out into the wind like a couple of fisherman on the Deadliest Catch. We headed into a cold hard wind for about 20 miles before looping back to town via 36. With the dark low clouds creeping in attempting to cut off our position, we hammered a fast pace back only getting hit with a light sprinkle right at the end. At one point I looked down and we were rolling 30mph balancing our average speed that had been crippled by the rabbit mtn climb into gale force winds. We managed to pull out a 40 mile ride with just under a 20mph average speed. Bob actually logged more than 40 as he lives a little further from our start point. BK and I always seem to find ourselves flipping off mother nature when her attitude turns turbulent and going out anyway. When all is said and done, I am always glad we rode though one day we may die trying. Probably a good thing we are not fisherman on the Bering Sea.

Heres to swimmin with bowlegged women    Cheers! 

No comments: