Sunday, May 4, 2008

in the beginning

Welcome to my blog. I have been wanting to start this up to document things for quite a while. Finally after years of reading my friends blogs and websites, I am making the effort to share my experiences and interests as well. I really enjoy taking in the details of other's adventures and appreciate the effort they put into writing and posting the details of events or rides with friends. Hopefully somebody finds the same satisfaction in my stories. 

Back it up yo, my name is William Schiano but most call my billy, will or bill. William is also popular and billy skee if you're the Avalonious Monk. Last name is Italian and is actually pronounced Skee-ano but She-ano seems to be the american substitute. I'm a II, hence the segundo. I have been riding mountian bikes since the early 90's. A black Diamond Back Apex was my first "mountain" bicycle. Things took off from there like they did for many of us. I have loved riding bicycles all my life and still to this day, have fond memories of how this passion was kindled. 

After returning from a snowboard trip to CO over a winter break, I was unable to resist being pulled back to the mtns so I took a break from school and I moved to Durango for a while in the mid 90's. Mtn town life was good and I was having an incredible time but headed back to the east coast to be with the family during a time of need. I knew I would be back out here eventually though. After a couple of years, I was packing a truck and pointing it west. I settled on Boulder for more reasons than one (when I can make a living in Durango or Salida, I/we will blow this pop stand.) Until then, as much as those try to hate on it, boulder is a pretty nice place to live. Until you visit, don't form your opinion. Not all of us drive allroad Audi's and live in $2 million spec homes. Many of us still make a living the old fashion way, waiting for the whistle to blow and that door to open to the foothills of the Rocky Mtns. I have been here just about 10 years now. 

I have been riding bicycles for as long as I can remember. My sister Gina taught me to ride a singlespeed Huffy when I was in elementary school and since then I have been hooked on bicycles. From there, I naturally got into BMX riding. Our unconstrained minds built dirt tracks, ramp to ramp jumps, jumps with river landings, and even a quarter pipe. The suburban ruralish area we were raised in sprang up around us and quickly became a playground of dirt and new developments that would give rise to many a fun features. I loved being in the woods but I had no idea at the time that the trails we rode and walked on to get to our little utopias was a precursor to what would eventually become a great passion.  

I am rather slack when it comes to keeping up with friends and family so hopefully this will offer a little insight into what I have been up to when the times between our calls can be measured in full moons rather than days. All too often, this is a reality. 
If you stuck through this disorganized and slightly boring introduction, thanks and happy trails. ws