Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fixation

Sometimes you want to ride without a plan, you want to jump on the bike without suiting up or loading a bike in the car. I rode the fixed gear around town for a few hrs last night and as always, thoroughly enjoyed the spin. The weather was perfect and some of the pave was still damp from our rain. After stopping to meet a guy who was selling a brand new WTB SS hub for cheap, I headed down south to check on the garden and to begin to string up the sweet peas. The garden was looking rather healthy and I thinned some of the greens for salad. 


Using my trusty rain jacket, I was able to transport the arugula, spinach, and salad greens back to Jessica's house for our first harvest feast accompanied by fresh ciabatta bread pizza. Wednesday afternoons at the farmers market is the place for the real artisan bread from Udi's bakery. With the price of all our food shooting through the roof, it is good to know that some people out there still do it right. Amedeo informed me that Jessica beat me there and that she had already picked up some bread for us, one less thing in the bag. I saw Donald there as well and chatted about the happenings at the Cure Organic Farm. They were selling some healthy organic heirloom tomato plants that had me wishing I had more room in my plots.

The scene from the garden plot was calm as the last of the rain showers rolled over town.


This is where the ride gets fun. I have been doing this particular commuter ride for yrs. Usually it involves a round or two of frisbee golf with Sam in south boulder and a beer or two but on this evening I skipped aforementioned activities as time was short and I wanted to spin for a couple more hrs on the fixed gear. 

Heading east from here on the bike trail is always nice. Rolling creek path, no cars, no time constraints, and great scenery. 

I introduced this ride to CM after he turned to the dark side this year and purchased his first Singlespeed bicycle, a redline 29er mono. He quickly gained an appreciation for these flowing rides on the outskirts of town. I must confess that I wear my Ipod on these rides. I am more or less an anti music guy on the trail and definitely anti music when road riding. Personally it takes away from the experience for me and can be very dangerous on the open road for obvious reasons. That being said, I do enjoy it while riding the creek path and commuting. 
I took this shot for him (chris) as I crossed over foothills pkwy for the second time. He likes this bridge and the setting sun gave the opportunity for a little highlight through the chain. If it were not for the mountain backdrop, you would think you were crossing the beltway in baltimore on this thing. All you would need is some graf and a 2in layer of broken glass.

I find that turning the cranks on a fixed gear is extremely meditative. I just get into a rhythm on the rolling trails and enjoy seeing the sites that you normally would be oblivious to in a car, like this lawn sculpture made of recycled parts.

Looking forward to many more rides like this one this summer.

1 comment:

cpm said...

Bo Mo TEE! Orange on a Stick!.......sichill