Saturday, May 10, 2008

what is that creaking...


is that my knee making that annoying noise? no, it's not crunchy enough. the question lingers for a couple rides. The usual creaks of my surly were all but silenced by this new evil cry from parts unknown. I finally dug into it and upon close inspection, I realized that my isis Raceface cranks that have served me so well for so many years, had seen their last trail. I do believe the Outlaw had a similar break on his RF cranks a couple yrs back.
The 1x1 fixed setup has been out of commission for a few weeks. I finally ordered a set of stylos and hope to be back in business this week. Looking for used cranks is a joke and after all is said and done, these will not be overly expensive. I have been missing this bike recently and will be happy to spin some fixed mtn again soon. 
I decided not to go RF this time. I just put a pair on my if29er last fall but figured it was time to try something different. i heartss Tdub gave his Stylos two thumbs up so I figured what the hell, try the truvativ. Since ordering these, I have heard both good and bad reviews so I hope they hold up. 
I just received two new sizes of Tomicogs as well so the fixed gear future is looking bright. I am still throwing around the idea of building a set of 650b wheels to stuff in the Surly as well, call me crazy. We will see what shakes out.  


No comments: