Wednesday, August 26, 2009

escape

We ventured down to Salida last weekend for some camping, riding, and visiting friends. Escaping the everyday and celebrating Jessica's B-day were the main objective and I think we achieved what we set out to do. Saturday's highlight was Tomichi Pass to Canyon Creek TR. Canyon Creek is part of the Vapor Trail 125. We parked at the Snowblind campground and took the front side approach to CC trail. Hats off to everyone who rides the VP125. I really want to try it one year before it fades away into the lost epics of the past category.

We camped on BLM land on fri night due to lack of daylight

morning light spreads

We went right

Jessica gives me a head start

on the way up

Find the marmot. I think my labored breathing brought his guy out to have a look-see

Canyon Creek TR. To live in Colorado and not explore this exceptionally fine state is unimaginable.

The tree line fades like a distant memory as we hit the hike a bike sections

Hike some more. The new Connect Garmin website and my Garmin Edge seem to have some issues. The elevation gain from the ride is correct but the altitude is not. Either way, I think this one tops out around 12,600 but I could be wrong. The connect garmin website says 10,800. I need to figure out what is going on with that thing.

Gazing away above tree line. This gem of a trail eventually begins to head down

and down.

premature shutteration

Jessica approaching the final turn


We jumped off our bikes, rinsed off, and picked a nice camp site to settle on for the night. The Snowblind campground comes highly recommended, you can't beat the setting and the couple who maintain the grounds will make you feel right at home. I give it 5 stars.

Even though I have not been getting many longer rides in, I am thinking about trying to catch up with some people this Saturday for the HalfAss100 ride or is that HA 110...18-20kft of climbing from Nederland over to Empire, to the Winter Park/Fraser trail systems for some singletrack and back over to Ned. If my sore shoulder feels strong enough, I will give it a go.

4 comments:

Ed said...

:-) Nice one.

Canyon Creek is an incredibly fun and endless downhill ride. From the top of Granite it takes what...40+ minutes to complete the balls-to-the-wall descent to the big climb just before Snowblind! 5 star trail!

You are correct about the elevation being wrong, I always see ~12,600 ft. at the top of the hike-a-bike section on my 60CSx, and contour maps concur.

Ed

Wskee said...

E- Our map was confirming the 12,600 range at the top too. Trying to trouble shoot my Edge705, it seems to be problematic on higher altitude rides. It states starting elevation as 7600ft which is wrong.

Truly an incredible area though! From the old graveyard outside Whitepine to the top of Granite, we enjoyed every bit!

Even though we did a very short part of the Vapor ride, I was trying to put myself in your (Vaporheads) shoes and conjured up being at the top of Granite in the dark and tried to imagine how the climb right before Snowblind must feel like on the legs. What an amazing route the Vapor takes you on!

jessica moon bernstein said...

ahh, I want to go back! Thanks for the great B day weekend.

xoxo
j

Matt said...

So that is what that trail was called! Oh and you can ride it in daylight? How cool! ;-)

Shoot me an email at mcturge at yeahooooo