Sunday, August 9, 2009

let the dog days begin


Winter squash blossoms

I received some rather sad news this week concerning an incredible human being and someone I consider dear to me. I wish Leslie Ann all the best and will think of her everyday until she is back home. My words could never properly convey what a truly sweet and genuine person she is.

On top of that sad news, I took an epic spill on road commute when everything fell apart at once in a very fast corner. I was a little dazed and confused to say the least and was lucky enough to have Chris in tow to roll up and pick up the pieces, or mop them up rather. Regardless, I have been forced off the bike for a few days and have been struggling to stay occupied. I am going to attempt to spin a little today and hopefully can get back to it soon enough.

My cycling misfortune has been a good thing for the garden though. I have been spending a solid amount of time weeding and getting things ready for the late summer planting that will provide us with even more food this fall. I even fell into a Lama like calmness while weeding yesterday that allowed me to take in the knowledge some of the elder gardeners will impart in drawn out circuitous conversation wound tightly, yet organically (pun intended) with digressions and story telling. I learn more every season about growing my own food and always look forward to applying what I learn.

I am admittedly bummed about being hindered by my wounds but happy it wasn't worse. I suppose for me, the biggest let down, on top of missing my chance to challenge Lance in Aspen, was cancelling my plans for a little solo MTB trip this weekend. We cancelled our plans to drive around ID, WY, and CO for 8 days but the next couple of weeks in fact were/are filled with plans to visit some trails and friends around CO and hopefully neighboring states. Jessica ended up taking a less stressful and free trip to see a friend in VT and ride on what I would call "home style" trails. Not that our trails in CO are not incredible but there is something about the east coast/mid-atlantic area that challenges you differently than most trails in CO. Tight trees under a canopy of green with wet roots and rocks is what I learned to ride a mountain bike on and I unconsciously measure most other trails against this type. Even though is has been a couple yrs over a decade since I have lived there, I still think fondly of the trails in that area and enjoy the photos posted by the crew that still holds down the fort.

Lacinato Kale

there is always someone who takes it to the next level and homebrewing is no different. evidence of fellow gardener Charles' hop growing prowess


Just pics next time

3 comments:

jessica moon bernstein said...

Nice post and pics of the garden. Can't wait till the tomatoes are ready.

The trails here are amazing, so green and lush tacky and technical. I will try to post some pics soon. I wish you were here so badly!

Can't wait to see you soon!
xoxo
jessie b.

Matt said...

Bummer on the crash, but glad to see you got something to occupy you. Forget Tagaderm though....find nice big sheets of Covaderm.

Wskee said...

thanks Matt, good advice! found some actually!