Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dog days

We are finally getting some rain here after a hot and dry June and July. The rides have been enjoyable even though we got caught up high in a very cold thunderstorm storm yesterday. We thought we could make a trail junction and get down but mother nature apparently had other plans. Our PVC rain jackets were no match for the bone chilling hell the storm dealt so our hands and legs were numb and lifeless a quarter of the way down. We finally made to the car for some heat and hot chocolate. Of course it was about 20 degrees warmer down here...

Even more storms hit the mtns early today so we played it "safe" riding on the front range with the crowds and hikers. It was still a good time and I even spiced things up with a nice little washout heading down the trail. Luckily, I busted some of my Shaolin handwork as I was going down which proved 99% effective at avoiding a rather large group of healthy cactus.

I have also been busy this weekend preparing the old geared bike to be set free. My beautiful 26in IF steed will finally stop collecting dust and soon find herself between the legs of another, hopefully worthy, rider. This bike has sat idle for years and should have been sold a long time ago but memories of rides past have had the better of me. I originally purchased this frame from a neurotic bike shop employee who had ordered one size too big for himself. His loss was my gain and the pro deal price he paid, made it quite affordable.



I quickly moved up from a cracked aluminum hardtail that rode like rigor mortis, to a handbuilt steel singletrack railing extension of myself. I have fond memories of being melded to this wonderful creation while floating through the trees with deer like grace. The party ended quickly though as I had purchased a 1x1 around the same time. The IF became reserved for big rides that I thought required gears or after long SS rides that had me sore the next day. I soon realized that I preferred things gearfree and my two wheeled Cinderella has since sat patiently, suspended in some sad poetic tale of lost love while my SS bikes got all the attention.

If you know anybody who wants a sweet 26in Indyfab, give a shout.

No comments: