Tuesday, August 26, 2008

breakin in CB



We headed to Crested Butte last weekend to celebrate Jessica's birthday. Looking for a loop that would satisfy, we put together a nice ride from town starting on some local singletrack. We dropped down and did a series of climbs up to the 403, over to gothic and up to schofield pass, to 401 and back to town. I liked this ride quite a bit and thought it was pleasant to end with the 401 even though you still have to climb a chunk of Gothic prior to starting the trail. It took a bit longer than I thought but it was a fun day in the saddle.


The climb up had us seeing funny things.


a lookout on 403


401

We were excited to eat at our favorite CB establishment, the Ginger Cafe. The food was good and the chocolate covered pretzels from the RMCF were a perfect desert.

We decided to take another local trail out of town on Sunday and work your way out to Teocalli ridge since Reno/Bear/Flag/Deadman's was destroyed this year by motos and it was recommended we not suffer through it. Well, Teocalli Ridge was fairly destroyed as well unfortunately.


We did find a couple nice sections that day including this section in the beginning of the ride. Tight rocky twisty trail through the aspens, what could be better?

Then it was ruts, ruts, and more ruts. It's a shame because Teocalli is so beautiful. Parts of the trial were gouged pretty deep and you find yourself just trying to hang on in a steep flume of loose rock in places.



The pain started on the way down. I came around a corner on a very steep section after a few motos had gone by us and there was a fresh sapling across the trail. No time to do anything but try to hold on as I knew this thing was going to spring back once I hit it. Needless to say, I ended up in a group of small trees upside down. Seems the trail was so steep here, moto riders jump off and throttle their bikes up along the trail and someone knocked the tree over in the process, thanks fellas! We were most of the way down so I jumped back on before the egg forming on my shin hatched.

10 mins later, I eat shit again through another rutted section but this time the rocks were a bit nastier. I could feel some damage to my foot but the plethora of bruises had spread my mental reception of pain throughout various places on my body so the foot was not so bad in the moment. Once we got back to town and I got my shoe off though, I realized it was worse than I thought.



yeah my feet are ugly and those blue spots don't help. Getting an xray tomorrow. I have some other pics to post as well from Jessica's camera so stay tuned and happy trails. Maybe I will clean and tune bikes for beer until my foot feels better, any takers?

2 comments:

Tim Wise said...

Nice post. Every time I see pics of CB I want to go. I have not been able to ride there yet. Too many trails too little time.

jessica moon bernstein said...

thanks for the birthday weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!