Friday, June 27, 2008

One in every family

So I pictured Jessica's completed Black Sheep in the last post but skipped over the whole trip to the workspace where James creates all his bikes. We headed up to Fort Collins the week before last to grab the rest of the parts and to ride some front range trails. James was cool enough to bust out the bike build while we rode a few of the local trails.

After we stopped by to drop the frame off, we headed out to the local trial network to hit Devils backbone and few others in the same area. Classic front range type riding with great views.





climbing out



looking over a peaceful valley scene as we headed back out.

We had fun on the trail but I understand why locals warn against riding here during the heat of summer days. It was super hot there and we were only in the 80's. It was nice to check a new trail though and I am thinking this place is good to ride off season.

We rolled back to Black Sheep headquarters and found a finished SS with Jessica's name on it. The bike looked great and James was cool enough to let me kick a leg over this puppy. This setup was surprisingly light and snappy, I bet it is fun on the trail.




Jessica petting her new friend while holding my new friend. I really loved the curves of this frame. I would love to take James up on his offer and roll it down the trail one day. He even took a spin around on the IF to humor me and also to help pinpoint the latest creak.




In case you were unaware, James teaches all his dogs to weld or at least assist in the process. This guy is listening intently to my needs and riding style and offers tubing options for a possible frame build. Dogs and cats abound at the Black Sheep shop.



This fork design was surprisingly nice to ride and alleviated almost all tuck that one experiences on certain rigid forks when grabbing a handful of front brake. Again, I would have to ride it on the trail to get an idea of the how it handled in the thick of things but I was happy to spin it around the neighborhood before we pointed is south back home.

No comments: