Monday, October 20, 2008

Oct.

The mystery ailment that sets in for a few weeks every autumn, is beginning to lift. Mired in the residual effects that come from a summer of riding and the weather change, I ease up on the consistent riding and take up other activities for a short while. It feels good around now to wait for the cycling fire to start back up on it's own. I have learned that this perennial change in motivation is best ridden like a wave rather than wrestled with. For this reason, riding has been a bit spotty and less than adventurous the past few weeks.

Like Ace Ventura pseudo birthing out of the mechanical rhino in pet detective 2, I have inevitably begun to push through this precipitous frame of mind and have started to savor the feeling of spinning into winter. I now find myself excited for the coming of cold snowy evenings that see me pulling on the layers and mounting my light before heading out into the quiet white nights. This will be the two wheeled meditation that helps fuel the soul during the winter.

Ironically, I had plans for a nice MTB ride this afternoon but the rain beat me to the trail so the mtb waits another day. This coming weekend looks nice for getting outside and Fruita is in the plans for this weekend or next. Another motivator for me, is the fact that our surf trip plans have been shored up and we will be ringing in the new year on the beach, Mexico this time around! I am really excited to hit the water for a couple weeks and the timing will be perfect.

A late congratulations out to Josh Tostado from the Bach team for scoring big at 24 hrs of Moab. Josh won the men's solo class and is making a name for himself on the endurance mtb scene. I am guessing we will not wearing the same jersey next year. After 2nd at the 24hr nationals and another crushing win at the brek 100 this year, Josh deserves something more substantial in terms of sponsorship and I am sure some bike company is thinking the same thing. We only met once at Firecracker 50 but he was super easygoing and rode up the trail and cheered us on even though he wasn't racing, nice guy for sure and clearly a devout endurance racer. We just ned to get him on an singlespeed!

Just one, is it not crazy that OPEC wants to cut crude production in order to drive, excuse me, "prop" oil prices back up?! Like we are going to stop burning oil.

in the spirit of others...in my audio player right now, Hint - portakabin fever (note, not THE hint, just hint)

peace

2 comments:

Ed said...

I go through the autumnal lull every year, it's good for you...ride that wave.

What's sad about OPEC is that WE will fall victim to low prices once again and nothing will be done to free us of the shackles. The biggest favor OPEC can do for us is to keep the prices high, eh?

Ed

Wskee said...

ed- the current lull seems to come and go but it is nice to be ok with it.

true that turn down in the oil price is the "grim reaper" of indicators that we are tough times. i think many wish it were as simple as, lower crude costs spark spending and savings but its going to take more than that at this point. I am happy to say that i do not speculate on crude futures...i doubt that many people had them at a sub $70 target for oct