Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th



We have a winner at the house and it's not me!

Congratulations to Jessica for WINNING the women's Singlespeed class at the Firecracker50! The 4 rider class looked very competitive and despite the prerace doubts, it ended with Jessica 1st, Kara 2nd, Jaime K. 3rd, and Amy H, DNF. What a great job!!!

Tim came up from Santa Fe and ripped a 5:18 in his first Firecracker, and to think he was shooting for 6hrs...nice work! Also, congrats to Isaac who came up with the NM crew and took an impressive 2nd place in men's SS, excellent work! Oh to be young again. Matt came up with the crew as well and rode tough but I do not know his last name and category so I am unsure of his time but I do remember it was a very respectable.

The course was tacky and fun this year and I was happy with my time despite an off/on 2nd lap, which I thought would be the case due to lack of long mtn rides this past month. I also over did it on the food and drink intake/combo and I definitely paid for it at the end of the 1st and much of the 2nd lap. Despite my ill stomach, I gave the Wild Turkey challenge a go on the second lap after jumping the makeshift ramp. Big ups to TWISE for doing the same. When in doubt, just hit a little whiskey. It didn't faze me either way actually but I seemed to entertain the colorful roadside crew with my exaggerated jump off the 6in ramp.

As usual, there were heaps of strong women on the course and I was able to hook onto some wheels during both laps on the initial climb out of town, thanks ladies! I love tempo pace climbing and strong geared riders were perfect for setting the pace out of town.

The good thing about the FC50 is, you can bonk and still have time to recover so anything can happen. Even when you're down, you're not out. I started to feel good again a little over halfway through the 2nd lap but I had already lost some time due to my poor judgement in food intake then the climb up Little French to Flume hit my like the 2nd punch of a good combo. It does feel great when you top that one out and start down though. I am waiting for the split times to see just how bad I cracked. I was feeling good by the end and I made across the line with a time of 4:43.

Maybe a pic or two to come later. In the meantime, check official results to see times.

I will leave you with one result I found impressive, Steve Becker of Prescott, Open men 60+ finished in 4:55, incredible and inspiring!

7 comments:

Ed said...

We were scanning the results on Sunday looking for friend's times and I happened to see yours. Great time!!

Congrats to both of you and Tim. And that 60+ guy getting in under 5 hrs....impressive!

Ed

jessica moon bernstein said...

Thanks for the congrats, it must have been those 2 lucky four leaf clovers I found on that ride up in Ned. I certainly surprised myself!

jessica moon bernstein said...

looks like you'll have some Irish clover luck on hand for Laramie too, although you certainly won't need it.
xoxo

Wskee said...

Ed- Thanks! It was a lot of fun despite bonking for a bit. The trails really are in great shape up there.
Jeff W.(the race director) and the volunteers do an incredible job with the event.

JMB-Great job again!!! You were worried about coming in last and you won!!

I will keep my eyes open for another four leaf clover.

Ed said...

Are you the Jessica Moon that's supposed to ride with my gf Jeny?

Ed

Wskee said...

I do believe she was planning a ride down in your neck of the woods.

Matt said...

You guys had an awesome showing! Congrats to the both of you!