Saturday, April 11, 2009

Classics

"...they plowed a dirt road, flew over it with a helicopter, and then just dropped a bunch of rocks out of the helicopter! That's Paris-Roubaix. It's that bad - it's ridiculous." Chris Horner

The Roubaix tomorrow morning! My favorite classic happens in 6 hrs and I will be up early watching it (a good bit of it anyway) live on the cycling tv website. The classics are the best of the Pro road race season IMO. Flanders was really good last Sunday and for the first time, I was able to watch the "real" highlights from Gent-Wevelgem which took place on Wednesday. The attrition rate rises with every mile on the cobbles and Paris-Roubaix clocks around 165miles with 27 sections of cobblestones to rattle the teeth. Looks like a chance of rain too, all the better for a true classic. Big George needs to get out there and at the very least, let it hang out on the front just to make a statement if not for all the glory. Boonen, Devolder, an Ital like Quinziato or someone with Van in their name are probably top pics but I'm hoping Hincapie can show up. One day Leif Hoste will show back up too. As for Hincapie, none of this tomorrow, 06 crash I couldn't believe that one even while I watched it happen... that commentary reminds me, hopefully you all know Peter Van Petegem, that Belgian was tough as nails.

OK, enough about the Roubaix. Riding here has been good and Belgian like on certain days, which I like. Cool to cold, cloudy, maybe a little wet, I can dig that on the road but you can keep the wind. Mountain has been up and down with the weather. The stall on the new frame plans has me tapping my foot but all will end well I'm sure. I rode with Foghat during feb and march so hopefully that serves me well for the handful of events I hope to complete this year. Which reminds me, the Iron Horse or Growler? I know others are wrestling with this. The Iron Horse is the only "road race" I would do and I first heard about it back in the mid 90's but the Growler is calling!

At the Velopress 75% off sale last month, I grabbed a GORE rain riding jacket for $45 and DVD of the Coors classic and Red Zinger races from the late 70's to mid 80's for $15. Now, I had no idea Alexi Grewal was such an emotional ass but I also had no idea how great Davis Phinney really was until I watched these DVDs. The guy could really win some sprints.

Found this today, can you guess where?

That's right, Stan left that in my front tire from last year. Coral reef or tire sealant?

The beer has caught up to me, time for bed. See you tomorrow for coffee and cobbles, peace

1 comment:

Ed said...

Roubaix is definitely cool.

Ed