Monday, April 20, 2009

and it was good

The Amstel Gold, another long one day classic road race, was a great distraction Sunday morning while the day warmed. An extremely strong finish and fine show. The classics are coming to an end.

Pancakes, coffee, and chores also happened while the race played. Soon, I was pumping up the skinny tires for a little road ride of my own. The trails were beyond wet after 3 days of constant rain and snow so the blacktop was the only option. I headed out into the beautiful fresh sping air without any real agenda.

Jamestown got a little snow of it's own. I knew this would be tricky with all the melted snow and new sand and indeed it was. On the climb, I eyed the corners of my soon to be descent to see how the sand could potentially play tricks on my 110lbs of pressure. The sand usually lines up from the cars but recent water can move the sand and close you out with devastating consequences.

There was a good bit of water running across the road up near town and sure enough, in the 3rd or 4th real corner of the descent, I came up on a crash. A woman had gone down and was not looking so happy. I was told all was good as they loaded her into someone's car and I proceeded with caution.

I headed north and spun loops by rolling muddy green fields through the moist air. Animals and plants alike seemed to be rejoicing in the spring weather. Melting snow gave way to green grass and you could tell the change was truly here.

This young one had it's head through the fence eating moments earlier proving that humans are not the only ones who think the grass is always greener. I'm not sure what he would have thought of Damian Hirst's cow in formaldehyde I saw a day earlier and in fact, I am still unsure what I think of it. I had a hard time looking away, I know that much.

Got a little dirt in today out east just for the mental. It was a very nice evening to say the least.

So, we are going to try and head west again this weekend, only this time we may go straight to Moab for Sat and Sun and if I can score Mon off, we can have a little Fruit for dessert. We want to avoid the festival of fat tires and hopefully hit the area after the crowds disperse.


Tried this beer tonight. Hercules dbl IPA from Great Divide Brewing out of Denver. I found it interesting that the only awards they boasted on it's label were won in Australia... Anyway, its not bad but a bit malty for me. Malt is great if you're talking Whoppers or those Robin Eggs you get at Easter but it can quickly become a wet blanket on the hops. Until next time.

No comments: