Friday, May 15, 2009

mmm yeah, I need to play catch up

You got that, right? Absent from the blog world lately but regaining control of the schedule.

I was saddened to hear of a very well known figure in MTB community passing on from this world recently. I was not lucky enough to know Anthony Sloan personally but there are many in the area who did. I have read several posts and comments on Anthony since his passing including kind words by EdE that have helped me understand and know a little about who Anthony was and how he touched the lives of many. My best to his family and friends during this difficult time.

Also, big Get Well Soon wishes out to Big Wheel Matt T who many know as one of the top endurance riders in the Rocky Mountain region and he does it all on one gear! Matt explains how his freak injury happened during 12hrs of MV on his blog. For someone with such a serious injury and the pain to go with it, he sure is maintaining a positive attitude. We'll keep turning the big wheels for you until you're back in the saddle buddy! Heal quickly.

So the riding has been fair given the wet weekends. The trails up high have not given up their wintry blanket easily this year but at least the air quality has been better. One thing about the front range that I could do without is our red air quality days. It is and was really noticeable this winter during our warm spell as it is during the summer. I had a strange cough for a few weeks during that warm spell that made me feel like I smoked the Camels, nasty indeed! It really makes me want to move off the front range one day.

Getting some trail when I can and road when I can't, nah mean?

Happy animals loving the cool wet spring. The thought of napping with these guys for a bit was inviting but I needed to press on.

Hit the combo of trails the other day. Heil to rocky rock to small ranch and back. Been liking the bigger gear on the SS lately and I will like it even more when I can get up in the real mountains. Can't wait until they are in the wake of spring and the higher trails open. I have been meaning to get down to Buffalo Creek one afternoon for a change of scenery as well.

Hit the climb to Ward yesterday evening under cold gray skies and a light spitting rain, perfect actually as I was offered up lovely Friday solitude broken only by the usual after work freak Wardo drivers going 65 in a 35 back up and buzzing intentionally close. It is no secret most of them hate cyclists but I still love them! I knew it was going to be cold up there but I needed to get something in with my limited time so I kept a quick pace. I tied a personal best to the water hose if not nipped it a bit then descended back through the cold to climb back up and over to town. I saw only one other guy up there, a familiar junior mtn pro heading up to a secret little climb that very few attempt. The kid is dedicated and talented.

Hopefully there will be a few good photos to post from the weekend rides. Cheers and happy trails!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Thanks for the shout out, and well wishes! I'm one lucky son of a gun though - I'll take my lumps on this one cause it could have been much worse. See ya on the trails soon!