Monday, December 14, 2009

"for the rest of us!"

Happy F!*#ING Holidays!!! With all seriousness, hopefully everyone has experienced a few relaxing days proceeding the frenzied bustle that is the helliday season. No matter what holiday you celebrate, the important thing is sharing some time with family and or friends.
Turned out a nice long solo snow ride yesterday.

Guess what I saw in the middle of the ride?! I had to try a zoom shot even though I only had my point and shoot. I love birds and I especially enjoy birds of prey. When I was a child, my father used to tell me that he had been an eagle in his past life. I often hoped that maybe I would be one too someday.

It was a privilege to see this bird enjoying it's reward on this cold afternoon.

Despite the encroaching darkness at the end of my ride, I knew that the sun never set on the singlespeed empire. Thoughts of nutty thumb print cookies and warm soup soon danced in my head as I headed home.

The 1x1 is setup in it's usual fixed gear mode with a studded tire up front and nevegal rear. I blew the bead out of my other snow tire last season trying to mount it on an old Rhino Lite rim but the Nev will do just fine until I can get ahold of another Innova. It takes a solid effort to push the 17t through the snow but it is oh so fun!

Winter riding can also be a learning experience. For example, I learned that when it snows, the hordes of people who walk their dogs on the trails do not have to pick up their dog's excrement. I unaware of this change in local law due to snow but I suppose if you are lucky, the old adage that you learn something new everyday, will hold true.

this thought is dated but I still like this frame so figured I would share. I hope to add a CX bike to the collection some day, after my next mtb frame that is...
Me thinks this should be mine! Seriously nice SSCX frameset from Raleigh. I like the Miller Highlife theme better than last years paint job.


enjoy and more soon

No comments: