Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Living large on very little

That will be my new mantra if I can not find my was back into the workforce soon but the riding has been good and I was able to enjoy a solo ride up high yesterday. Interestingly enough, the highlight was not the ride but the elk I encountered.

The leaves have dropped up high and the aspens seemed to be huddled together discussing their preparation for winter, or so it seemed.

I have seen elk on this ride before but never during the rut so it was a bit more eventful. After pausing at a lookout, I started back up through some dense trees and heard two bulls clashing horns up ahead. I startled a group of cows who trotted ahead and the clashing stopped but as I moved to the edge of a meadow, the bulls started bugling from the trees on either side of me. I slowly moved up and was almost right between them. The louder bull not surprisingly had the cows on his side. It was amazing to be in the middle of it in that setting. It beat sitting in a car in Estes Park on the side of the road.

This weather really has been special the past 5 days. I have been lucky enough to get in some great riding to usher in the change of seasons. It looks as though we will be in for some chilly weather tomorrow though so break out the base layers and longsleeves and revel in the season.

In dated cycling news, Cadel actually won! Maybe now he can stop playing the victim but somehow I doubt it. Most know I am not Cadel's biggest fan and some have even questioned my lack of support for the guy over the years so I will say it here, great job to him for winning the rainbow, now go home ;)

If you have not seen EdE's post on the oil debate, you should check it out. Good thought provoking stuff.

It looks as though it is last call for the garden. Heading down for the last tomatoes of the year. It sure is nice to have lbs of OG heirlooms to eat at will but all good things usually come to a pause.

Hopefully everyone can get out and take the trail less traveled one last time before things are closed for the season, enjoy!

No comments: